Pages

Sunday 30 June 2013

Discharge 2.0

I'm being discharged tomorrow. It feels as though this will be an actual, permanent discharge. It involves an incredible number of people. I will need to keep my vacuum dressing on for probably a fortnight and have a continuous infusion of antibiotics. This means I'll be carrying around a noisy bag and something that looks like a soda stream bottle constantly.

I have mixed feelings about being discharged. I've never left hospital before being so debilitated. I'm seriously weak, my arms and legs look very scrawny. I am actually not fully capable of looking after myself.

The wound change involved serious narcotics, anti-emetics and lots of wincing. It went well, and I didn't have the same pain I normally get after the procedure. It was quite stressful though as a number of staff were involved and I was being grilled on discharge plans. Once they finished I had another anti-emetic which started my head spinning so I wisely decided to have a nap.

By the time I woke, had three hours of antibiotics, plus thirty minutes of a new antibiotic it was too late to be discharged.

I'll leave tomorrow. The first thing I'll do is go and see the surgeon in clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment