Pages

Sunday 16 June 2013

The record, held by NZ, for the lowest ever team score in test cricket will never be broken….



Unlike my father’s femur.

Yes, just when you thought there was chance that the country’s health budget might record a surplus this year, my family comes along and finds another way to spend our hard-earned health dollars. Why was he up a ladder pruning trees today in the rain? Who knows.  Do you think he regretted his decision even before he hit the ground? Probably. What are they going to hold him together with? An intramedullary rod.

Any chance now of my mum coming down to help out with our favourite cancer survivor’s recovery as planned? 

Not


Hope,

Marvin.

He called to tell me while waiting for the ambulance. When he described where the break seemed to be I told him 1) don’t eat anything; 2) tell the ambulance staff if you get short of breath STRAIGHT AWAY. A normal son would’ve said something like “gee whiz dad, are you ok?”

I have no tether. Which is just as well, for I must therefore have no end to it. I’m not complaining, though. That’s for tomorrow’s blog. Ha ha.

My mum doesn’t drive, and they live in Auckland. So unless she’s going to use Auckland’s weekly bus route my sister will have to be the taxi service for a bit. Of course under normal circumstances I’d pop up to help out.

In several other ways today was actually quite nice. We gave the kids a visit this morning that only ended a little badly. Make-do-mum-in-law and I added to the glory that is now our bathroom with a snap decision that was the culmination of months of dithering. Elder one spent many wonderful hours with her friend (well, it was wonderful for us), during which time they attended some sort of science demonstration based on fireworks. 

In other more peripheral news, she’s had a rough day with tummy pain (which she now realises is partly due to the vacuum dressing). She’s just told me that the children are becoming a bit abstract to her – lucky, lucky thing. Her eating still isn’t fantastic. But my IV line from yesterday is still working fantastically. She accidently saw her wound today.

Three weeks tomorrow.

NZ play tonight but even I think I should get an early night.

#1 Husband

I am the cabinet

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. I'm so sorry, Vincent. It's horribly hard when you have more people you would normally be helping than you have hands to help with.

    I hope your dad's surgery went well.

    ReplyDelete