Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

all these false hopes and setbacks....

1) suggest there's some sort of one-day tournament around the corner


I think that Martin Guptil is not so much red-green colourblind as red-red colourblind. You put him in a test team and you wonder why they chose him in the batting line-up instead of, say, a constipated anorexic heroin addict, such is his inability to produce runs. But replace the red ball with a white one, and voila - he's Martin "Lara-Tendulkar-Bevan-Sewag" Guptil. I suppose we should just be grateful that there's someone in the team can still occasionally impress us.

Hmm? Oh yeah - the other thing.

Well it's been a couple of days since I last updated. She thought she felt better so asked for the laptop to watch DVDs on. It meant that when I tried to log on to this blog either on my pad or the work computers here at the hosp I was asked for the security thing which needed access to her cellphone. Also I figured that if she was well enough to watch DVDs*, she'd be ok to write a four-line update herself and let me get on with my busy long weekend.

* she wasn't.

Much has happened and for irrelevant reasons I haven't slept as much as I might have recently, so the my time lines are fuzzy. But I'll have a go.

At some stage the naso-gastric tube came out then went back in again. The current one went in smoothly and is sitting more comfortably than the last one. I've always spoken of bilious or bile-stained vomit, but to be honest I never knew how stunningly green bile was until today. It reminds me of how they draw gloopy radioactive waste on "The Simpsons". She's effectively nil by mouth, but can have sips. She was allowed to have an ice block and the nurses very kindly soursed her a Kapiti Ice Cream bar, but she couldn't have it because a) she can't currently have dairy, and b) it was passionfruit and she's not allowed seeds. So I've been asked to remember, for laters.

The rectal tube was the source of much unhappiness (which surprised me - I don't know about you, but I've always associated rectal tubes with nothing but joy and happiness in both professional and social settings). When they decided they wanted it out (fevers, so all tubes out), they had trouble removing it. The Reg simply came by and yanked it out. Someone was not impressed.

Unfortunately after everything came out she continued to spike temperatures and was sore. They found something in the urine and started antibiotics, but the word on the street is that the Infectious Diseases consultant was not convinced this was the cause of her problems. And I suppose he's been proven right by the lack of response (for those of your who care, the antibiotic they chose to try first was.... Augmentin).

Last night she developed a new upper right abdo pain, worse with inspiration (no cough and no-one mentioned her oxygen saturations so let's say it ain't a clot on the lungs). They've bitten the bullet and she's just come back from CT scanning, looking for any leaks/pus. They had the wrong sized IV line so once again I fulfilled my deepest fantasy and got to stick it to her (some people find her veins tricky and I felt sorry for the House Surgeon on-call on a Public holiday. Also overnight they needed three goes to get her current small one in). I've actually been most helpful this morning, above and beyond my usual helpful comments and friendly criticisms).

And so here we are now. I need to be off - nana is just about to lose the kids (but only figuratively, unfortunately). Yesterday was hard, and to de-escalate things I had to take the little one out in the car to provide everyone with breathing space. They're still mostly fine, but as you can imagine things are delicate.

Ok - finally caught up. The net one will be sooner and shorter.

#1 Husband

ps - again, for those who care, her CRP is 170 (up from 150) and her white cells are around 11.

pps - of course we're going to lose the net match by 80 runs or 6 wickets

No comments:

Post a Comment