Pages

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Hey, how about a longer stay?

Well yesterday was an unpleasant meltdown. I raged about being back in hospital. My behaviour was very negative:  I tried sleeping away the world, and finally I hid (found a meeting room). There was a lot of indulgent crying and finally I just got very stressed about the number of people in the room with me. It really felt as though the walls were closing in. I was also super weak. On one short walk with Mum I had to be wheelchaired back to the room. In the end I asked for a quieter room, a double or single. The four bedded was frazzling me. The shift coordinator took pity on me and before I knew it I was in a single room. A few deep breaths later, and more visitors and I felt normal again.

Thank you to everyone who visited, texted, wrote FB messages or otherwise helped me and my family yesterday. It was a low day and it all really, really helped.

(Slightly ashamed of yesterday's one woman pity party).

Last night I went back to theatre to have the right wound cleaned. This is the wound where the stoma was. Given that the stoma failed, it is no surprise that a lot of mean bacteria took root. There was a lot of pus under the skin, but thankfully not eating into the stomach wall. I have a vacuum dressing on the site now, this will remain until the weekend. It will need changing in three or four days so I will probably be in hospital until the weekend.

The other issue is eating. I haven't been holding down food. The bowel just declines to accept it, resulting in severe nausea and vomiting. The theory is that when the infection is under control the bowel will happily process food.  Tonight's dinner stayed down. Finger's crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment